Thursday, 27 March 2008

Contains intense bloody violence



I've worked in the computer games industry for a long time now, it's actually over 15 years, so a real long time. And for as long as I can remember there have been warnings on the back of games clearly giving an age rating and some info on what is contained.

And example from a recent game I worked was this subtle piece of text placed next to the 18 logo:

"Contains intense bloody violence"


Now you would have to be pretty stupid not to understand what that means.

But it seems that the government thinks that some people find this a little too complicated to understand so are looking into making it more obvious. You can read some of that here BBC News.

It makes me really angry when things like this happen. When I was a child I wasn't allowed to watch movies that had 18 ratings, so what has changed. If it says 18 on it, the shops shouldn't sell it to the kids, and the parents shouldn't buy or let them play them. It's just lazy parents not paying attention to what there kids are doing. It does my nut!

No comments: